Swanton Marching Bulldogs
Dear Parents and Students,
I hope you are enjoying your summer. Many of you have already been hard at work attending sectionals and learning your music. I am so excited to begin working with you on our show! Below is our schedule for band camp. All practices will be held at Swanton High School. Please also fill out the Emergency Medical Form included with this letter and return it on the first night of band camp.
- Pre-Camp is Tuesday, July 16-Thursday, July 18. Freshmen are highly encouraged to attend.
- Band Camp is Sunday, July 21-Friday, July 26. Please see below for a detailed schedule. This schedule will be the same as last year.
- First practice is Sunday night from 6:00 to 8:30 PM in the high school band room—we will not be marching, but bring your instruments, your music, and a pencil.
Necessary Items for Band Camp
- Water jug or bottle for every day—It is going to be hot and we do not want anyone to get dehydrated.
- Appropriate clothes for the weather—T-shirts and shorts are a good idea. You MUST wear tennis shoes WITH socks! No flip-flops, sandals, flats, dress shoes, etc. You cannot march properly and safely in these.
- Plenty of sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses
- Flip folder (with music), lanyard for your coordinate sheets, and a pencil.
- Bug spray for evening rehearsals
- If you are allergic to bees, please bring proper medication and we will keep it in the band room.
Parents are more than welcome to attend rehearsals to observe your progress. There will be a performance on Friday night at 6:30 PM to show off what we have learned. The Band Boosters will host a picnic immediately following the performance on Friday.
A group picture in full uniforms will be taken on Friday at 5:30 PM for the fall sports program. Individual pictures will start at 5:00 PM if you would like those.
Please be sure to eat something nutritious before rehearsal and drink plenty of water. Avoid drinking pop or coffee before band camp rehearsals.
How to Prepare for Band Camp
- Read this newsletter!
- Sign up for band reminders: text @swanband to 81010 to begin receiving text message reminders.
- Check out our Google Classroom to listen to recordings, download parts, and more! Our class code is: b4rn2r
- Consider beginning a simple exercise routine such as jogging or walking. This will help increase your lung capacity and endurance on the marching field.
- Be excited! I am very excited about working with all of you. Your enthusiasm for our band will help make the year even better. With positive attitudes, we can get a lot accomplished!
Pre-Camp Schedule (optional but recommended)
Tuesday, July 16, 8-10 AM—Section leaders and Freshmen only
Wednesday, July 17, 8-10 AM—Section leaders, Freshmen, Juniors, and Seniors
Thursday July 18, 8-10 AM—Section leaders, Freshmen, and Sophomores
Band Camp Schedule (mandatory): July 21-26
Full band rehearsal
3-4: full band music rehearsal
3-4: full band music rehearsal
3-4: full band music rehearsal
5:30: pictures for group
6:30: parent show and cookout
Fayette Bullthistle Parade: Saturday, August 3rd
Our first “official” performance of the 2019-2020 Swanton Marching Bulldog Band will be on August 3rd at the Fayette Parade. The parade begins at 10:00 AM. More information will be coming soon.
Band fees are due by the end of band camp. New member fee is $55.00 and covers the cost of shoes, shorts and t-shirt. All upper-classmen owe a $30.00 maintenance fee to cover cleaning of uniform. Extra shirts and shorts are $12 each. We can also arrange an installment payment plan, but you need to contact Mrs. Preisner.
Practices after Band Camp
Practices July 30-August 15 will be Tuesdays and Thursdays 8-11 AM. For a full schedule of events, please check out our Google Calendar by having your student log into Google Classroom.
Volunteer Opportunities for Parents
Our Band Boosters play a very important role in the success of our band. We need volunteers to help with concessions at Swanton Fireworks, Corn Festival duck race (August), the Century Resources sale (November), football concessions, and sideline help at contests. Please contact me or sign up at the picnic on July 26th if you are able to help. Thank you for your support!
Parties and Meals
We need volunteers to donate food and time to help serve meals to the kids. It does not have to be at your house! We can host it at school, at the park, wherever you would like. We can fill in the times we do not have parties with group lunch orders and section lunches/dinners. Meals and parties are optional, but they are a fun way to get to know other band students and parents. We also hope to add more parties throughout the season so please let Mrs. Preisner know if you would be interested in hosting one.
The parties and meals start immediately after band practice. Maps will be provided a day in advance if they are at a location other than school. The night parties should end no later than 11:00. Remember, you have to be back up here by 8:00 AM! If you are worried about rides, there are many upperclassmen willing to help you get from one place to the other, but check with your parents first. Parents are also welcome to attend all meals and parties.
If you are interested in volunteering to help with a lunch, dinner, or evening party, please email me at email@example.com. Donations of cases of water and Gatorade, bags of ice, bags of fruit, prepackaged snacks, and paper products are also welcome to help the families that are hosting meals for band camp.
Band Camp Meal and Party Schedule
|Monday 7/22||12:00-1:30 PM||Host Needed|
|4:00-6:00 PM||To be announced||McFarland family|
|Tuesday 7/23||12:00-1:30 PM||Host Needed|
|4:00-6:00 PM||Kohlhofer House||Kohlhofer family|
|Wednesday 7/24||12:00-3:00 PM||Pelland House||Pelland family|
|8:30-11:00 PM||Hummel House||Hummel family|
|Thursday 7/25||12:00-1:30 PM||Host Needed|
|4:00-6:00 PM||Hummel House||Hummel family|
|Friday 7/26||12:00-1:30 PM||School||Santchi, Dicke, Reiter, and Sarvo families|
|Dinner following preview show hosted by the Band Boosters|
|8:00-11:00 PM||Castillo House||Castillo family|
Dates to Remember
Saturday, June 29: Swanton Fireworks Concessions
Tuesday July 16-Thursday, July 18: Pre-Camp
Sunday, July 21-Friday, July 26: Band Camp
Saturday, August 3: Fayette Parade
July 30-August 15: Rehearsals Tuesday and Thursday, 8-11 AM
Saturday, August 17 Swanton Corn Festival Parade and Duck Race
It is extremely important that you contact me if you cannot make a band camp rehearsal or if you are no longer going to be in band. We chart an individual “dot” for everyone—missing one person affects everyone else. The sooner we know of conflicts and/or changes, the better we can plan around them.
Want to receive Swanton Band updates via text message? Just text @swanband to 81010, enter your name, and you can start receiving text message alerts.