Swanton High School – Graduation Requirements
All students must successfully complete 23 Carnegie Units which must include:
4 units of Math, including Algebra II or its equivalent
3 units of Science including physical science, biology, and advanced study in one or more of the following sciences: chemistry, physics, anatomy/physiology, or environmental science
5 units of English, including English 9, 10, 11, 12, and Speech 1
4 units of Social Studies, including U.S. History, American Government, and Economics*
1/2 unit of Health
1/2 unit of Physical Education
1 unit of Fine Arts (Art or Music)
5 elective units to be chosen from among world language, fine arts, business, career-technical education, family and consumer sciences, technology, or English language arts, mathematics, science or social studies courses not otherwise required.
Diploma with Honors
The Diploma with Honors is awarded to seniors who meet the requirements as determined by the Ohio Department of Education. GPA’s for the diploma with Honors and Academic Awards are calculated based on the grades earned for completed course and the first semester averages for year-long classes of the year in question. All must be high school credits.
To receive a “Diploma with Honors” students must meet 7 of the 8 criteria listed below:
- Earn 4 credits of English
- Earn 4 credits of math including Algebra I, Algebra II, & Geometry
- Earn 4 credits of science including Chemistry and Physics
- Earn 4 credits in social studies
- Earn either 3 credits of one foreign language or 2 credits each of 2 foreign languages
- Earn 1 credit of fine arts
- Maintain an overall unweighted GPA of at least 3.5 up to the last grading period of the senior year
- Obtain a composite score of 27 on the ACT or 1210 on the SAT without writing.
Presidential Award for Educational Excellence
This award recognizes academic success in the classroom. To be eligible, students must meet requirements, including grade point average and ACT score.
- Grade Point Average: Students are to earn a grade point average of 90 on a 100 point scale, (an A on a letter scale or a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale). When computing grade point averages, through the fall semester of their senior year.
- ACT score of 28 or higher.